Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cash by Johnny Cash (creative name, right?)

This first section of Cash by Johnny Cash mainly establishes his personality. Johnny cash is feisty. One can see this when he is talking to a reporter about a robbery on is home. He says "No, we're not [leaving], this is our home."(56) People were trying to get him to leave Jamaica by robbing his house, but he didn't back down. Cash is also a convincing person. When he is trying to buy a house from John, he is able to make John sell the house. He says "Well, say you sold it. If you did, what would you have to have for it?"(45) In the end, he is able to get John to sell the house. This first section of the book develops Cash's character into a deep individual that you can empathize with.
The first section of the book, although it does talk about Cash's personality, mainly describes his background. I think he is trying to get the reader to empathize with him. In the beginning of the book he is talking about his family and poverty. For example, he says that his "daddy had a lot, but he didn't have money."(5) I think he is really trying get you on his side by saying he grew up poor. I think he does this again, near the same place. He says about money "he had to take whatever work could be had."(5) Once again, i think he was trying to win empathy from the reader. By describing his background, Cash relates himself to us, allowing us to step into his shoes.

5 comments:

Chris L said...

In my opinion,a fiesty person who constantly tries to convince me to do something that might not benefit me isn't someone who I would empathize with. Now, someone who grew up poor and had to take whatever job he could get is an individual that I would empathize with. I've always liked Johnny Cash, and I look forward to hearing more about his life through your blog.

Shannon H. said...

I think that because of growing up poor, that made him feisty. It taught him that you have to work for what you want, which is a very important lesson to learn. A lot of the books we have been reading (outside reading) are about poor people in desperate situations who have to rise above it.

Kate J said...

I have a fasination with Jonny Cash, I think he is amazingly interesting, but fiesty doesn't seem like the word to use for him. I think the quote you had shows that he is very strong headed. I do agree with him being convincing, some people still believe is was in prison and shot a man in Rino just to watch him die.

joey said...

I thouroughly enjoy listening to johny cash, however i never realized that he had such a hard time growing up and that his life was poverty stricken. This gives me a new sense of respect for him and makes me feel like his music has more meaning to it. Johnny has a feisty adittude most likely because of his background. But it was this same background that gave Johnny the ability to become a great singer and worker.

Jessie D said...

It sounds like there is some serious character developpement going on here with Johnny Cash. It's very good that you stated each side of Johnny Cash's personnality instead of simply saying that he is a complicated person. Look over your MLA... :)